Each Tuesday, Wardeh at gnowfglins.com encourages us to share what we’ve been up to in our kitchens over the past week.
While we’re still getting a fair amount of summer vegetables including the last of the heirloom tomatoes, its clear that fall isn’t far off; the past week reflects that sometimes awkward transition..
1) Rosemary Chicken Liver Skewers Local, pastured chicken livers pan-fried on rosemary skewers with garlic smashed purple potatoes and mushroom & onion gravy. I could eat this 3 times a week and be very happy.
2) Roasted Tomato and White Bean Soup with Tasso Ham Roasted San Marzano tomatoes, yellow onions, garlic and peppers with spicy Tasso ham, celery, fresh herbs and raw olive oil. Winter yesterday, summer today 🙂
3) Pork Belly, Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos This was easily my favorite thing for the week. The roasted sweet potatoes added an unexpected dimension to the beans and pork. This one’s definitely going into the rotation.
4) Roasted Chicken Posole Soup Achiote roasted chicken, homemade chicken stock, posole corn, yellow onions, fresh chile peppers, smoked chile powder, lime and vermicelli. Comfort food, Texican-style.
5) Chocolate Almond and Almond Shortbread Cookies Not that the chocolate cookies weren’t good, but the simple, unpretentious almond shortbread cookies were a standout. I have a long way to go in mastering the art of sourdough bread-making, but these little diversions help build experience and confidence.
6) Classic Tuna Melt Pacific albacore, heirloom tomatoes, purple onions, celery, homemade mayonnaise and local pepper-jack cheese on toasted wild-yeast sourdough English muffins. One of the easiest and best lunches of the season.
A rather eclectic week, I’d say. I wonder what else has been twisting out there in twisterland?